UPCOMING & RECENT PRESENTATIONS
- Invited Guest Lecture-African American Museums and their Meanings, MUX 119: Museums in Society, Smith College, 6 October 2017
- Panelist-The Globalization of Contemporary Art: Markets, (De-)Coloniality and (De-)Commodification, American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, August 2017, Montreal, Canada
- Faculty Workshop Participant-"Crafting Management Skills for the Arts," The Business of Teaching, Copenhagen Business School, July 2017, Copenhagen, Denmark
- Faculty Forum Participant-Race in the Marketplace (RIM) Forum, May 2017, Washington, D.C.
- Discussant-How to Teach and Learn with the National Museum of African-American History and Culture, 2 May 2017, Smith College, Campus Center 103/104, 5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Presenting-Philanthropy and Diversity at African American Museums, Fifth Exposure Seminar (The Dark Room Seminar), May 2017, Mount Holyoke College
- Invited Guest Speaker, American History as African American History: Visiting the National Museum of African American History and Culture, Smith College Visit to the National Museum of African American History and Culture, April 2017, Washington, D.C.
- Presenting-E-Commerce and the Fine Art Market, Mini-Conference: Digital Sociology: XII: Digitally Networked Field Studies, February 2017, Philadelphia, PA
- Presenting-Is the Market for Contemporary African Art on the Rise?, Black Portraiture[s] III: Reinventions: Strains of Histories and Culture, 17-19 November 2016, Turbine Hall, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Panelist-Professional Development Workshop and Business Meeting: Navigating the Faculty/Post-Doc Job Market as a Cultural Sociologist, American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, 20 August 2016, Seattle, Washington, 4:30 p.m.
- Panelist-Conversation featuring Riché J. Daniel Barnes and her new book Raising the Race: Black Career Women Redefine Marriage, Motherhood, and Community (Rutgers 2016), 29 April 2016, Smith College, Neilson Browsing Room, 4:30 p.m.
- Presenting-Intersectionality and the Market for Contemporary Art, Fourth Exposure Seminar (The Dark Room Seminar), 23 April 2016, Mount Holyoke College, Gamble Auditorium, 11:15 a.m.-12:45 p.m.
- Presenting-The Rise of Africa in the Contemporary Art Market: Myth or Reality?, The Art Market in a Global Perspective, 28 January 2016, University of Amsterdam
- Interviewing-Touria El Glaoui, Founder 1:54: Contemporary African Art Fair, The Art Market in a Global Perspective, 28 January 2016, University of Amsterdam
- Presenting-Black Artists in the Art Market, Family & Friends Weekend, 25 October 2015, Mount Holyoke College, Hooker Auditorium, 11:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Presenting-Prices for Art by Female and Male Artists of African Descent in the Auction Market, Section on Sociology of Culture Paper Session: Art, Money, and Meaning Panel, American Sociological Association Annual Meeting, 24 August 2015, Chicago, IL.
FEATURED PAST PRESENTATIONS
- Book Talk-Represent: Art and Identity Among the Black Upper-Middle Class, Center for Multicultural Education, University of Washington, Seattle, 14 May 2010
- Presenting-Identity and Consumption, Collecting African American Art: Aesthetics, Methods, and Marketplace, The David C. Driskell Center for the Study of the Visual Arts, 28 October 2006, College Park, MD.